Since his opening in 2016, the Lascaux IV site, also known as the International Centre of Cave Art, offers an unparalleled experience and a real immersion into the past. Prehistory. See you at Montignac-Lascaux to the Dordogne to explore the Lascaux cave replica in its entirety!
What is the Centre International de l'Art Pariétal?
Lascaux IV: the complete replica of the original cave
Since it was closed to the public in 1963, the Lascaux cave can no longer be visited: the prehistoric paintings have been preserved. But it is still possible to discover them thanks to the sites reproduced at Montignac-Lascauxin the Dordogne, very close to the original site:
- The Lascaux II facsimileThe first two rooms of the original cave (the Hall of the Bulls and the Axial Diverticulum) can be visited by torchlight;
- Lascaux IV, or International Centre of Cave ArtThis facsimile is a complete reproduction of the cave, with lots of extra activities.
A new space for a new experience
Opened in 2016, the International Centre for Cave Art offers a range of exhibition spaces and rooms for a complete immersion in the prehistoric era.
As well as visiting the reproduction of the cave and all its paintings, the different areas of the site invite visitors to explore further with a workshop, a theatrebut also a cinema.
In particular, it deals with links between cave art and contemporary art, and heritage of early man. With its atypical architecture and its semi-buried building of over 8,000 m², perfectly integrated into the environment of the Lascaux cave, the International Centre for Cave Art offers an extraordinary adventure.
What are tours of the Centre International de l'Art Pariétal like?
Wander around on your own or with a guide? There are several options available to visitors to Lascaux IV.
- The traditional guided tour Discover the cave and the Centre's scenographic areas (workshop, theatre, cinema, immersion room).
- The "prestige" visit A 2-hour torchlight tour with a guide. A walk full of mystery!
- Storytelling tours in explorer mode, aimed at children.
- The "Cave Art & Gastronomy" tour Discover the cave, accompanied by an exceptional meal with anecdotes about Lascaux and prehistory.
How to get to the Centre International de l'Art Pariétal: ticket office and opening times
Book your tickets online
To visit Lascaux IV, remember to buy your tickets online in advance. As well as benefiting from a preferential rate, you can choose your day and time slot. A real time-saver, especially during the holidays.
To take advantage of other activities during your stay in the Dordogne, opt for a twin ticket or a pass. That way, you can discover other treasures of the Black Périgordas the shelter of Laugerie-Basse and the parc du Thot.
When should you visit the Centre International de l'Art Pariétal?
The Centre is open all year round, except for a few weeks' closure in January. Before planning your visit and booking, please consult opening hoursThese vary according to the time of year. For example, it closes later at the height of the summer season.