A brief history of the village of Montignac-Lascaux
There was a fortress here from the early Middle Ages until the 10th century. It passed by marriage to the Count of Périgord in the following century and became an important stronghold.
Dismantled several times during the wars, the castle was destroyed in 1825. All that remains is a tower and the infrastructure.
The bridge at Montignac-LascauxThe bridge, which was burnt down in 1580 by Protestants, was rebuilt and then washed away by the floods of 1620. The current bridge, built between 1766 and 1777, replaced the ferry that had been in use for 150 years.
The town is made up of two centres on either side of the Vézère. There are medieval streets narrow streets with houses on stilts, timber-framed houses, wash-houses and fountains.
The city has also a rich religious heritage with its convents and priory. Famous people from Montignac-Lascaux: the writer Eugène Le Roy, author of "Jacquou le Croquantthe moralist Joseph Joubert, the fabulist Pierre Lachambaudie...
Things to see and do in Montignac-Lascaux
The town is home to one of the jewels of cave art: the Lascaux cave. Just 200 metres from the original, you can visit the facsimile, known as the " Lascaux II "which opened its doors on 18 July 1983. And since December 2016, Lascaux IV-International Centre of Cave Art a more complete and original replica retraces the discovery of the famous decorated cave.
Not far from the original cave, come and discover the website Regourdou. Here you can take an exciting trip back in time to discover theNeanderthal man with its chasm, its deposits, its museum and its bears.
Nestled upstream in the Vézère valley, Montignac-Lascaux is the ideal starting point for an unforgettable tour. canoe descent on the Vézère. For the more sporty, 44km await you to the village of Limeuil.
You can also leave the village to hiking :
- The Saladie woods loop
- Lascaux walking loop
- Coulonge ponds loop
- In the footsteps of the Lascaux men: an itinerary along the Vézère valley.
or mountain bike :
- Montignac-Lascaux -> La Filolie
- Montignac-Lascaux -> Lascaux
- Montignac-Lascaux -> Saint-Léon-sur-Vézère
- Montignac-Lascaux -> Valojoulx
The Montignac-Lascaux leisure park offers you a wide range of activities. mini golf and inflatable structures.
Geocachers, there's a poï'z hiding in the village of Montignac-Lascaux! Download the Tèrra Aventura app now!
Events and festivities at Montignac-Lascaux
Several events take place throughout the year:
- March: Tree, Wood and Flower Day
- April: CLIC CLAC photographic event
- July: "Cultures aux Coeurs" World Dance and Music Festival
- July to October: Périgord Noir Festival
- September: Festival de la Récup
- November: Leberou Storytelling Festival
- DocumenTerre film festival
Come and stroll around the markets held on Wednesday and Saturday mornings.
The little extras in the village of Montignac-Lascaux
- The village has a pleasant motor home service area close to the river.
- In July/August welcome markets take place every Monday evening
- Electric-assist bicycle hire 24/7 (Find out more)