Discover the forests, valleys and rivers of the Dordogne at the pace of your horse? It's possible, and it's even a dream destination for equestrian tourism! There are plenty of trails for horse riding, as well as a wide range of activities on offer at equestrian centres and farms. Adjust your reins, jump in the saddle and discover the banks of the Vézère in a whole new way!
Why is the Dordogne an ideal destination for horse riding?
Horse riding? Ideal for enjoying the countryside and castles
Périgord and the Vézère valley offer a number of routes and circuits that are popular with horse riders, whatever their level of riding. Some will prefer a walk lasting a few hours or a day, while others will appreciate being able to organise a complete tour. There's something for everyone, especially as you can add visits to medieval villages and prehistoric caves to each stage. You'll come across more than one castle to admire along the way!
There are many ways to enjoy horse riding
Equestrian tourism in the Dordogne is not limited to trail riding. Equestrian centres farms and pony clubs also offer a wide range of activities. It's also a great opportunity to discover the Périgord on horseback, even for just a few hours, or to take your horse and carriage with you. children to meet the horses of the Vézère valley.
Hiking, trekking, introduction... how can you discover the Dordogne on horseback?
A variety of activities at riding centres, farms and pony clubs
There are many riding centres in the Vézère valley. These stables, farms and pony clubs offer a wide range of activities with professional riders: rides, refresher courses, training courses and excursions for young and old alike. A great way to learn about horse riding and equestrian tourism.
Several equestrian centres specialise in this type of tourism in the Périgord :
- The Équiloisirs association in Rouffignac ;
- The Arc en Ciel pony club in Campagne ;
- The Cavaliers de la Vézère at Sergeac ;
- La Franval equestrian farm ;
- The Clos Fauré stables ;
- La ferme équestre de Sardin ;
- Or Les Eymaries horse farm.
Walks and treks for everyone on the circuits and paths of the Périgord
Would you prefer to plan a nature hike lasting several days, or an adventure trek on the back of a horse? The vast majority of footpaths in the Vézère valley are accessible to horses. This represents dozens of possible routesover one or more days.
You can choose your route according to difficulty: whether you're a beginner or an experienced rider, there's bound to be a trail in the Dordogne to suit you.
Gîtes and stopovers in Périgord for your star trekking or touring holidays
Choosing the right stages is essential if you're trekking for several days, so that your horse can also rest in the right conditions. Choose a star trek, i.e. one that starts from a single place and takes you around the surrounding area, or a touring trek, if you prefer a different stage each day.
In the Dordogne's Vézère valley, some gîtes, riding schools and farms offer stalls for horses and a room or camping area for walkers.
Why not take a ride with a horse, pony or donkey?
This type of tour is also possible! Horse, pony or donkey accompanies you on your walk through the Vézère valley in the Dordogne to carry your luggage and lighten the load. A great way for your children to experience a day's hiking in a different way.
How do you organise your horse trek in the Vézère valley in the Dordogne?
Are you planning a horse-riding holiday in the heart of nature in the Vézère valley? Here are a few steps to help you prepare!
- Choose a riding centre or a horse farm that offers horse-riding activities that appeal to you: some centres organise accompanied rides, with horses that are used to riding in groups. Others leave you free to choose your own route.
- Plan your route Itineraries: associations of equestrian tourism enthusiasts or centres can propose a pre-established itinerary, but you can also prepare your own by selecting the paths accessible to equestrian tourism. Don't forget your hiking map.
- Combine nature and discovery ! The Vézère valley in the Dordogne is packed with places to visit, including medieval villagesand castlesand caves and museums. Every stage of your stay in Périgord is an opportunity to plan a visit.
- Prepare the right equipment. Whatever your itinerary (riding in the open country with camping, star trekking in gîtes or bed and breakfasts, etc.), you'll need all the equipment that every rider needs. Don't forget to take care of your horse and provide it with supplies.